News

Dolphins delay Martin meeting per NFL’s request

Dolphins delay Martin meeting per NFL’s request

LOOKING FOR ANSWERS: The NFL is launching its own investigation. Photo: Associated Press

(Reuters) – Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has postponed his talk with Jonathan Martin until after the NFL’s independent investigator meets with the distressed tackle in its probe into alleged bullying, the team said on Tuesday.

Ross had said in a news conference on Monday before Miami’s game against Tampa Bay that he set up a Wednesday meeting with Martin, who left the team at the end of last month and later claimed he was the victim of harassment.

The National Football League last week appointed Ted Wells, a noted New York attorney with experience in sports cases, to investigate possible misconduct in the workplace in the wake of the unfolding harassment scandal.

“Ted Wells and the National Football League have asked that we delay our meeting with Jonathan Martin until they have the opportunity to meet with him,” Dolphins president Tom Garfinkel said in a statement.

“Out of deference to the process, we will cooperate with their request. We look forward to meeting with Jonathan as soon as possible.”

Miami has already indefinitely suspended Martin’s fellow offensive lineman Richie Incognito, who was singled out by the former’s representatives for abusive behavior toward the second-year player.

Ross’s announcement of his now-delayed meeting with Martin preceded an embarrassing 22-19 loss to the previously winless Buccaneers (1-8), a defeat that head coach Joe Philbin would not blame on the distractions caused by a scandal that has engulfed his team for two weeks.

“Tampa Bay deserved to win the football game, credit them,” Philbin told reporters on Tuesday after reviewing the game that dropped the Dolphins to 4-5. “We just didn’t execute very well. It wasn’t the offense, it wasn’t the defense, it wasn’t the special teams. It was all of them.”

Philbin defended his players over criticism of a clubhouse culture that allegedly coerced young players to pay for expensive dinners and trips for veterans, and led to a text message from Incognito to Martin that included racial profanity and threats that owner Ross had said he was “appalled” at.

“They are very good teammates, they are professional. They work hard. Representing this organization the right way on and off the field is important to them,” Philbin said.

“We discuss appropriate behavior and the type of work atmosphere we want to create. We talk about that every single day.”

Philbin said that with the season heading into its stretch run, it was time for the Dolphins to concentrate on football with the San Diego Chargers (4-5) up next.

“This is a performance-based industry that we’re in. Winning football games is what we all get paid to do,” he said.

“Teams that have the great character, the great chemistry, they find a way to fight through the obstacles and the adversity and perform well this time of the year. And that’s what we have to do.

“We have to focus on football.”

Recent Headlines

in National, World

Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border

Fresh
Israeli soldiers patrol outside the northern Gaza Strip on July 28, 2014.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dashes any hopes of a swift end to the three-week conflict as Palestinian fighters launched an audacious cross-border raid.

in Sports

Only arguing remains in Sterling trail

FILE - In this Nov. 12, 2010, file photo, Shelly Sterling sits with her husband, Donald Sterling, right, during the Los Angeles Clippers' NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons in Los Angeles. With a $2 billion sale of the Clippers hanging in the balance, a judge is set to determine Monday, June 30, 2014, if the terms of a family trust alone are enough to confirm Donald Sterling was properly removed as trustee and allow his estranged wife to sell the team without his consent.

Only final arguments and a ruling remain in the trial to determine whether Donald Sterling's estranged wife can sell the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion.

in Entertainment

Fans support campaign to keep Sean Bean alive in new show

British actor Sean Bean arrives for a special UK screening of Cleanskin, at the Mayfair Hotel in central London, Monday, March 5, 2012.

The "Game of Thrones" actor has died more than 20 times in his career, and fans want it to stop.

in Weird

Chaos erupts at Comic-Con Zombie Walk

People dressed and made up as zombies take part in a traditional Zombie Walk in Prague, Czech Republic, Saturday, May 24, 2014.

An elderly woman was hit by a car during a Zombie Walk after "zombies" attacked a car attempting to flee the scene.

in Entertainment

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ sequel set for 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Marvel unveils plans to press ahead with a sequel to "Guardians of the Galaxy," days before the superhero movie even hits theaters.