News

Aaron Hernandez pleads ‘not guilty’ to murder

Aaron Hernandez pleads ‘not guilty’ to murder

Former New England Patriot football player Aaron Hernandez, listens to procedings in a court in Attleboro, Mass., Thursday, Aug. 22, 2013. Hernandez was indicted on first-degree murder and weapons charges in the death of a friend whose bullet-riddled body was found in an industrial park about a mile from the ex-player's home. Photo: Associated Press/Josh Reynolds

By Richard Valdmanis

FALL RIVER, Massachusetts (Reuters) – Ex-National Football League player Aaron Hernandez pleaded not guilty on Friday to murder in connection with the June killing of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, and his lawyer said that not “one shred” of damning evidence had yet been presented.

Hernandez, 23, appeared at his arraignment in Superior Court in Fall River, Massachusetts, wearing a dark suit jacket and white collared shirt, said “not guilty” as the charges of first-degree murder and five firearms violations were read aloud.

Some members of Lloyd’s family, dressed in Lloyd’s favorite color purple, broke into tears during the brief hearing.

Hernandez was a star tight end for the New England Patriots but was cut by the team within hours of his June 26 arrest.

Lloyd’s body had been found nine days earlier in an industrial area near Hernandez’s home in North Attleboro, Massachusetts. Lloyd, 27, had been dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancĂ©e.

Prosecutors have said that Hernandez and two other men drove Lloyd to the industrial park and shot him five times, including twice while he lay helpless on the ground.

A lawyer for Hernandez, Charles Rankin, told reporters after the arraignment that he believed the prosecution’s case was weak. “Not one shred of evidence has been presented yet, and we feel confident that when evidence is finally presented in a court of law that Aaron will be exonerated,” he said.

Bristol County District Attorney Sam Sutter, speaking shortly after Rankin, disagreed: “Over 500 pages of documents have been released to the press and the public. Those include … returns on search warrants, still photographs from video surveillance …. I think that evidence speaks for itself.”

Hernandez is being held without bail, but Superior Court Judge Frances McIntyre granted a request by Hernandez’s attorneys to reserve the right to seek bail in the future. His previous effort to be released on bail was denied.

Hernandez, whose contract with the Patriots had been worth about $40 million, is being held in the Bristol County Jail. The next pretrial hearing has been set for Oct 9.

The Patriots are scheduled to take the field against the Buffalo Bills in New York on Sunday in their first game of the 2013-14 season.

The former Patriots star is also being investigated in connection with a double-murder in Boston in 2012 and has been sued by a Connecticut man who has accused Hernandez of shooting him in the face after a night at a Miami strip club in February. No criminal charges have been filed in either case.

Recent Headlines

in Weird

Dallas woman accused in illegal butt injections surrenders

Needles

Dallas police say a woman accused of providing illegal buttocks injections has surrendered to authorities.

in Entertainment

‘Downton Abbey’ to end after season six

This photo released by PBS and Carnival Film and Television Limited shows, from left, Lesley Nicol as Mrs. Patmore, and Sophie McShera as Daisy, in a scene from season four of the Masterpiece TV series, "Downton Abbey." As it returns for its much-awaited fourth season, it remains a series about elegance, tradition and gentility, and the pressures of preserving them. The show premieres Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 9 pm ET on PBS.

Producers confirm that the next season of "Downton Abbey" will be the last.

in Sports

Aaron Hernandez trail delayed by bomb threat

Former New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez listens during a motion regarding jail phone recordings during his murder trial at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Mass., on Wednesday, March 25, 2015. Hernandez is accused in the June 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd.

A bomb threat has delayed proceedings of the Aaron Hernandez murder trial.

in National, World

Police search house of pilot who crashed A320

Police hold media away from the house where Andreas Lubitz lived in Montabaur, Germany, Thursday, March 26, 2015. Lubitz was the copilot on flight Germanwings 9525 that crashed with 150 people on board on Tuesday in the French Alps. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

The co-pilot of the airliner that crashed in the French Alps, killing all 150 people aboard, appears to have brought the plane down deliberately.

in National, World

PHOTOS: Crash of Germanwings Flight 9525

AP41207304817_9

All 150 people on board the jet - including three Americans - were killed Tuesday when it crashed in the French Alps.